my game

Started by
23 comments, last by gamedev2084 1 year, 1 month ago

please alpha test my game my game is in very early development.

It's not on this website but i want to get as many views as i possibly can my game is at

https://gamedev1037.itch.io/shootscer

please beta test my game

Edit: it now goes by the new name Brain Blitz

Advertisement

Alright - I might sound a bit critical (I always do when doing some reviews on Ludum Dare or similar competitions … where similar entries happen quite often), keep in mind, those are my subjective notes on what would make given game better - many of my notes are most likely already in your to-do list.

Tested in Chrome, it runs smoothly on my rig (which currently is some Ryzen 9 5900X, 128 GBs of RAM and some Radeon HD 6800). Few notes, what I'd improve:

• Controls of player movement seem to be a bit chaotic to me (W/A/S/D in player reference is chaotic when you use mouse to navigate … I believe I saw that in many other games, so this might be personal opinion)
  • Player speed when moving seems too high (with chaotic controls it tend to be nightmare for me to control)
  • First dozen or so zombies spawned randomly, then in multiple playthroughs they spawned only from 2 specific directions
  • In few playthroughs zombie spawned directly under me in middle of level (thus instantly killing me)
  • Once zombie touched me I got killed instantly
  • Big zombie seems to be too BIG to me
  • The instant kills and too fast movement speed might be related to not-timing game steps in game loop. If that's the case - it would be good to add it
  • More feedback to player (particles of zombie blowing up, or such when one kills him) is missing
  • Artistically I guess it's all placeholders - white background needs to be changed
  • Zombie sprites doesn't look good (especially the big one being just scaled-up small one), they also lack some kind of animation
  • Sounds and music (I'm sure they're on todo list - but I always have to point them out), these are often most underrated things, yet they make atmosphere of the game and immerse players in (just try playing some old gem like TES 3: Morrowind, Arx Fatalis or similar without any music/sounds - it loses most of the atmosphere)

My current blog on programming, linux and stuff - http://gameprogrammerdiary.blogspot.com

This is going to usurp the resident evil saga

@programmer71 Oh, come on, everyone had to start somewhere (and it is much better to start at making a project one can actually do in regards to his/her experiences, than to go for ‘yuge MMO’) - everyone experienced enough can see that this is from someone who is learning how to write programs - there is no need to sarcastically laugh at such attempts.

My current blog on programming, linux and stuff - http://gameprogrammerdiary.blogspot.com

@Vilem Otte

You can see how big a hypocrite programmer71 is here…

https://www.gamedev.net/forums/topic/712783-need-animators-and-a-programmer-for-a-demo/5450824/

Where I mildly troll a user that says he doesn't trust anyone on the forum (user slightly edited it) and is low-key demeaning, demanding and unaware, but programmer71 comes to his defense with

How rude , I see an attempt to create something

🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂<←The tone posse, ready for action.

My bad

@Vilem Otte yes i will try to fix that stuff thank you

@Vilem Otte also how should i fix the controls should i use the arrow keys instead or what should i do

Tried it, mostly repeating the things already said…

Died a few times before i have figured out the controls.
I'm fine with WASD, but i would have expected: If you can aim with mouse, you also can shoot with mouse.

Though, i think there is no need to move at all. You can just stand in place and shoot them all before they get you. I did the same as a kid in Asteroids on Atari and could play for infinite time this way. So i think it's a design flaw. If you can move, there should be a reason you have to move. Obstacles could provide such reason, but then you also need some basic AI. Powerups would be another reason.

There are big issues about fairness: Zombies appear exactly at my position out of nothing, and i die before i notice what's going on at all.
And also: Multiple Zombies spawn at the same position. I shoot one down i assume i'm done, aiming for another, but then i see the zombie is still there although i did hit him. That's because it were actually two zombies.
Such confusing things should never happen.

It's too fast paced from the start. The player has no time to realize the situation and think about some strategy.
You could make them move slower initially, and make sure they spawn at some larger min. distance to the player but also some smaller min. distance to other zombies.

ok I will fix most of the stuff you said

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement