🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Next GameDev Challenge?

Started by
21 comments, last by khawk 4 years, 2 months ago

Thinking about it - game where you build/manage some kind of society? Like city builders or similar?

Or we could get all nuts - multiplayer city builder with society where you get instructions by email.

My current blog on programming, linux and stuff - http://gameprogrammerdiary.blogspot.com

Advertisement

Vilem Otte said:

Thinking about it - game where you build/manage some kind of society? Like city builders or similar?

Or we could get all nuts - multiplayer city builder with society where you get instructions by email.

I would be up for a city builder. Maybe even something where people plug themselves into VR machines and your job is to build the VR world as the regular world is on lock-down. I'm more for themes to be honest, not so much making just an “online game”. I think we did an online challenge awhile back? Pac-Man?

Programmer and 3D Artist

@rutin I'm for themes as long as it is not too binding.

Theme of “Dystopian city builder” is kind of okay-ish. Theme of 2D Pac-man is somewhat binding (although you can always do some huge plot twist - and include it in a way you like).

This being said - multiplayer doesn't exclude with any theme in general.

My current blog on programming, linux and stuff - http://gameprogrammerdiary.blogspot.com

Vilem Otte said:

Theme of “Dystopian city builder” is kind of okay-ish. Theme of 2D Pac-man is somewhat binding (although you can always do some huge plot twist - and include it in a way you like).

I'm personally not really into making multiplayer games as it is. That is why on the Pac-Man challenge I did split-screen and not p2p. Either way, I'll have to wait and see what the requirements are before I commit. I only referenced Pac-Man because it was the only game I remember that had a 2-player requirement… I believe?

Programmer and 3D Artist

Rutin said:

Vilem Otte said:

I'm personally not really into making multiplayer games as it is. That is why on the Pac-Man challenge I did split-screen and not p2p. Either way, I'll have to wait and see what the requirements are before I commit. I only referenced Pac-Man because it was the only game I remember that had a 2-player requirement… I believe?

What if it's something that require multiple players but maybe not a networked multiplayer game? Ie, you need someone else playing the game at the same time in order to solve the puzzles/win the battle or whatever, but not actually be present in the game?

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

deltaKshatriya said:
What if it's something that require multiple players but maybe not a networked multiplayer game? Ie, you need someone else playing the game at the same time in order to solve the puzzles/win the battle or whatever, but not actually be present in the game?

You just brought back memories of Half Life: Decay.

Vilem Otte said:

deltaKshatriya said:

You just brought back memories of Half Life: Decay.

Not quite what I was thinking actually. More like just synchronized gaming.

Generally, I think a broad emphasis on encouraging social interactions would be the best route.

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

deltaKshatriya said:
Not quite what I was thinking actually. More like just synchronized gaming. Generally, I think a broad emphasis on encouraging social interactions would be the best route.

The problem I see with this is generally lower amount of players that will play this (it is after all, GameDev.net only challenge). Add to the mix that most of us are living in different time zones and it would end up in waiting for other players.

@khawk Any ETA on when this kicks off?

Programmer and 3D Artist

Rutin said:

@khawk Any ETA on when this kicks off?

@rutin Soon. I'm targeting this weekend. I think there's enough of an idea to put something together here.

I also want to get everyone's past challenges recognized in the new system (I didn't forget ?).

Admin for GameDev.net.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement